Telephon rescue!
Bill Bradford
2004-04-18 22:07:56 UTC
I've got an old Western Electric 302 rotary phone set from '45.

Anybody know how to wire it up (it has red/green/white) to a normal
modular jack so that it will ring? Wiring up red/green lets it work (talk,
dial, etc) but it wont ring.

bill
--
bill bradford
austin texas
James
2004-04-18 22:19:02 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
I've got an old Western Electric 302 rotary phone set from '45.
Anybody know how to wire it up (it has red/green/white) to a normal
modular jack so that it will ring? Wiring up red/green lets it
work (talk,
dial, etc) but it wont ring.
bill
White is ground. You will find ground at your NIB. I always thought it would
work without ground, perhaps the ringer is josed?
Patrick Finnegan
2004-04-18 22:24:32 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
I've got an old Western Electric 302 rotary phone set from '45.
Anybody know how to wire it up (it has red/green/white) to a normal
modular jack so that it will ring? Wiring up red/green lets it work
(talk, dial, etc) but it wont ring.
bill
Here's a schematic/connection instructions:

http://atcaonline.com/diagrams.html

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS --- http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge --- http://computer-refuge.org
Bill Bradford
2004-04-18 23:53:28 UTC
Post by Patrick Finnegan
http://atcaonline.com/diagrams.html
Thanks, i found this too, for 500 series phones (btw, this whole site kicks
ass):

http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/pdf/500_modification.pdf

Bill
--
bill bradford
austin texas
James
BTW, nice score! Bakelite or steel?
Bill Bradford
2004-04-18 23:54:05 UTC
Post by James
BTW, nice score! Bakelite or steel?
Bakelite. Looks GREAT (well, needs some windex and a q-tip to clean it up).

I had an entire box of them (from 40s to 70s) a couple years ago, but it
got accidentally thrown away. 8-(

Bill
--
bill bradford
austin texas
Bill Bradford
2004-04-18 23:57:55 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
Post by James
BTW, nice score! Bakelite or steel?
Bakelite. Looks GREAT (well, needs some windex and a q-tip to clean it up).
I had an entire box of them (from 40s to 70s) a couple years ago, but it
got accidentally thrown away. 8-(
Actually, it may be pre-WWII, it has a metal base. I thought you were talking
about the rest of the phone. the S-9-45 stamped inside may or may not be a
date.

Bill
--
bill bradford
austin texas
Bill Bradford
2004-04-19 00:01:17 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
Actually, it may be pre-WWII, it has a metal base. I thought you were talking
about the rest of the phone. the S-9-45 stamped inside may or may not be a
date.
On closer look, its got the thermoplastic base plate, but the body of the
phone is bakelite and the F1 handset is as well. Looks just like this:

http://www.atcaonline.com/phone/we302.html

I need to find a template to make the number / letter listing under the
dial, though.

Bill
--
bill bradford
austin texas
Dave McGuire
2004-04-19 02:35:28 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
Post by Bill Bradford
Actually, it may be pre-WWII, it has a metal base. I thought you were talking
about the rest of the phone. the S-9-45 stamped inside may or may not be a
date.
On closer look, its got the thermoplastic base plate, but the body of the
http://www.atcaonline.com/phone/we302.html
Oh *WOW*...that is really cool! You need to take some pics of yours
when you get it all cleaned up.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire "PC users only know two 'solutions'...
Cape Coral, FL reboot and upgrade." -Jonathan Patschke
Patrick Finnegan
2004-04-20 05:08:37 UTC
Post by Dave McGuire
Post by Bill Bradford
Post by Bill Bradford
Actually, it may be pre-WWII, it has a metal base. I thought you were talking
about the rest of the phone. the S-9-45 stamped inside may or may not be a
date.
On closer look, its got the thermoplastic base plate, but the body of the
http://www.atcaonline.com/phone/we302.html
Oh *WOW*...that is really cool! You need to take some pics of
yours when you get it all cleaned up.
On the topic of telephone rescues... I managed to just make one of my own
today, what a coincidence!

My friend passed up what looked like a normal tape recorder, with a
wooden case. I decided to take a closer look.... it turns out to be a
Crown Telephone Valet, model CTA-4400U. There seems to be next to
nothing about these findable via google. The one thing I did find was
this (the picture matches what mine looks like):

http://other-antiques.antique-deal.com/VINTAGE-CROWN-TELEPHONE-VALET-2964786.html

Does anyone know how old this thing is? Or, exactly how rare? I know
this isn't the best place to ask, but I'd bet someone on here would
know.

Pat
Paul
2004-04-18 22:28:39 UTC
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/pstconv1.htm

Has a lot of old bellsouth diagrams with wiring, including the older r/g/w
setup.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson
2004-04-18 22:31:54 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
I've got an old Western Electric 302 rotary phone set from '45.
Anybody know how to wire it up (it has red/green/white) to a normal
modular jack so that it will ring? Wiring up red/green lets it work (talk,
dial, etc) but it wont ring.
White is for the ringer. It was connected either with a seperate ring line
to the switch (90 vac 20 cycles), or if it was a 2 wire circuit using an
external network (coil and capacitor) to one of the lines.

I can't remember which wire though: -(

You can replace the network with a 1uf capacitor. It should be non polarized,
capable of handeling about 1 amp, and well over 90 volts.

If you have a junk phone from the 60's the network is inside a metal box
with a molded plastic top in the phone. It was held closed with bent metal
tabs and can easily be pried open. Use the capacitor inside.

A modern capacitor should do, just be careful about the voltage and that
it must be nonpolarized.

While you have it open, clean the contacts on the dial and switch hook.
A regular business card is just the right stiffness and abrasivness
to clean them.

Geoff.
Geoffrey S. Mendelson ***@mendelson.com
Bob Keyes
2004-04-19 00:24:11 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
I've got an old Western Electric 302 rotary phone set from '45.
Anybody know how to wire it up (it has red/green/white) to a normal
modular jack so that it will ring? Wiring up red/green lets it work (talk,
dial, etc) but it wont ring.
I can't answer your phone, but I have a similar collection of old phones.
I'd like to know how to hook them up as well as where to get parts (even
if the parts are not vintage).

Hey, maybe if I get the info I can finally make use of my
NewEnglandTelephone.Com domain ;)
Bill Bradford
2004-04-19 00:26:41 UTC
Post by Bob Keyes
I can't answer your phone, but I have a similar collection of old phones.
I'd like to know how to hook them up as well as where to get parts (even
if the parts are not vintage).
My favorite telephone-related site(s):

http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/

http://www.telephonetribute.com/

Back when these were pretty much hosted at the same site, I liked them
so much that I paid $20 for a copy of the site(s) on CD-ROM.

I really need to get back into telephone collecting. New phones today
just don't have "soul". I need a good old heavy WE 500 touch-tone desk
set with an external Caller ID box.

I told Amy, "we need to hook this 302 set up to a VoIP adapter, and make
VoIP calls with it." She looked at me. "You're SICK."

8-)

Bill
--
bill bradford
austin texas
Dan Duncan
2004-04-19 01:04:19 UTC
Post by Bob Keyes
I can't answer your phone, but I have a similar collection of old phones.
I'd like to know how to hook them up as well as where to get parts (even
if the parts are not vintage).
Don't go too nuts hooking them up. They have fairly high REN
(Ringer Equivalence Number) compared to modern phones and if
you have a lot of extensions none of them may ring. You could
disable the ringers on a few to help out.

-DanD
--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) ***@pcisys.net http://pcisys.net/~dand
# The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own
# reason for existing. -Albert Einstein
Lionel Peterson
2004-04-19 00:53:35 UTC
Date: 2004/04/19 Mon AM 12:26:41 GMT
Subject: Re: [rescue] Telephon rescue!
I told Amy, "we need to hook this 302 set up to a VoIP adapter, and make
VoIP calls with it." She looked at me. "You're SICK."
No, sick is one of the really early wall phones with the crank on the side - hook it up to a voice recognition box & voip - then you could just pick the ear piece off the cradle, "say" the name of the person you wanted to call, and the phone would make the call...

That would blow minds:

<picks up phone>

"Domino's"

<wait>

"Yes, I'd like two large..."

<hangs up phone>

I can imagine your friends faces when the pizza actually arrives!
Mike Hebel
2004-04-19 01:11:40 UTC
Date: 2004/04/19 Mon AM 12:26:41 GMT
I told Amy, "we need to hook this 302 set up to a VoIP adapter, and
make
VoIP calls with it." She looked at me. "You're SICK."
No, sick is one of the really early wall phones with the crank on the
side - hook it up to a voice recognition box & voip - then you could
just pick the ear piece off the cradle, "say" the name of the person
you wanted to call, and the phone would make the call...
<picks up phone>
"Domino's"
<wait>
"Yes, I'd like two large..."
<hangs up phone>
I can imagine your friends faces when the pizza actually arrives!
For added points have a ship's tube next to the phone that you blow
into and yell to control household functions:

*blow*"All furnaces to 76 degrees!"

;-)

Mike Hebel

----
"Bah!" - Dogbert
Sheldon T. Hall
2004-04-19 02:27:27 UTC
Bill Bradford says ...
Post by Bill Bradford
I really need to get back into telephone collecting. New phones today
just don't have "soul". I need a good old heavy WE 500 touch-tone desk
set with an external Caller ID box.
Heh, the games we used to play with the phone system when I was a
teenager....

What I really want is a WE 500 "ring tone" for my cellphone.
Post by Bill Bradford
I told Amy, "we need to hook this 302 set up to a VoIP adapter, and make
VoIP calls with it." She looked at me. "You're SICK."
And her point is?

-Shel
Bill Bradford
2004-04-19 03:24:41 UTC
Post by Sheldon T. Hall
What I really want is a WE 500 "ring tone" for my cellphone.
I've got one, can you handle WAVs? I'll dig it up.

Bill
--
bill bradford
austin texas
James
2004-04-19 02:45:10 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/
http://www.telephonetribute.com/
Back when these were pretty much hosted at the same site, I liked them
so much that I paid $20 for a copy of the site(s) on CD-ROM.
I really need to get back into telephone collecting. New phones today
just don't have "soul". I need a good old heavy WE 500 touch-tone desk
set with an external Caller ID box.
I told Amy, "we need to hook this 302 set up to a VoIP adapter, and make
VoIP calls with it." She looked at me. "You're SICK."
Bill
What you need is a nice key system or hybrid PBX with SL cards. If you were
interested I could fix you up with one of my Iwatsu ZTD's. If you hang a
bunch of old phones on a telco circuit the Ringer Equivalency Number will be
high and you might not get ringing reliably. The ZTD has a stout power
supply and ring generator for such an environment. I now have 10 SL phones
on my ZTD, 4 of which are hybrid/network/mech-ringer types with no problems.
I do VoIP off a linecard on the ZTD and that allows me to do VoIP from a
1950's phone (what an odd feeling that is).

You could also get a Lucent system off ebay cheap. The last versions would
do SL or keyphone off the same port. If they don't have vmail they sell
cheap (but not a very flexible design).

So what ever happened to ***@mrbill.net? I assume it never got a
reasonable subscriber base?
Bill Bradford
2004-04-19 03:29:00 UTC
Post by James
What you need is a nice key system or hybrid PBX with SL cards. If you were
interested I could fix you up with one of my Iwatsu ZTD's. If you hang a
bunch of old phones on a telco circuit the Ringer Equivalency Number will be
high and you might not get ringing reliably. The ZTD has a stout power
supply and ring generator for such an environment. I now have 10 SL phones
on my ZTD, 4 of which are hybrid/network/mech-ringer types with no problems.
I do VoIP off a linecard on the ZTD and that allows me to do VoIP from a
1950's phone (what an odd feeling that is).
You could also get a Lucent system off ebay cheap. The last versions would
do SL or keyphone off the same port. If they don't have vmail they sell
cheap (but not a very flexible design).
We've actually just got one phone in the house. 8-) Its in the computer
room. I need to get jacks installed in the living room, bedroom, and kitchen
soon...

the phone arrangements in this house were pathetic when I moved in, and we
really don't use the phone enough to need to put them in other rooms just
yet..

bill
--
bill bradford
austin texas
e***@the7thbeer.com
2004-04-19 03:05:44 UTC
Post by Mike Hebel
For added points have a ship's tube next to the phone that you blow
*blow*"All furnaces to 76 degrees!"
I've always had this dream of sqwaking into a speaking tube:

"Engine room, bridge. All ahead flank."

-ed
-----------------
***@the7thbeer.com
Sheldon T. Hall
2004-04-19 03:43:36 UTC
Bill Bradford writes ...
Post by Bill Bradford
Post by Sheldon T. Hall
What I really want is a WE 500 "ring tone" for my cellphone.
I've got one, can you handle WAVs? I'll dig it up.
E-mail me the file, and I'll see ...

YO! ANYBODY! Anyone know how to insert a ringtone into one of those
cheap-ass^Wlow-end, blue-and-silver Samsung phones T-Mobile hands out?

-Shel
Skeezics Boondoggle
2004-04-20 00:46:29 UTC
Post by e***@the7thbeer.com
"Engine room, bridge. All ahead flank."
Then here's the rescue for you:

http://www.frenchcreekboatsales.com/details.asp?File_Number=BOP12

Yup, an aircraft carrier: the *perfect* platform for setting up the Crays
and some satellite links for an off-shore "data haven". (HavenCo may have
an AA gun, but wouldn't your data feel safer with a company that has its
own air force? :-) They say piracy on the high seas is increasing... uh
huh. "Ahoy there, are you actually attempting to board my aircraft
carrier?" <Phalanx guns train and begin to spin up...>

Aw, DAMN. Sold for scrap!?!? DAMN!! ARGH!!

Oh, *that blows.* I've gotta check my bookmarks more regularly.

Originally listed at $4.5M, I thought this was the coolest thing ever, and
I was just $4.49M away in saving up my pennies, too! To be able to head
out to international waters, tool around the South Pacific, the Carribean,
the Mediterranean... endless hours of fun getting plotzed and flinging
crap off the front of the ship with the steam catapult... and cruising
into Portland for the Rose Festival, pulling up at the seawall and the
crowds of astonished onlookers, walking casually down the gangway, then
turning and clicking the remote... <BLEEPbloop>

Much hilarity, indeed!

Ah, well. It's not a big leap from collecting 9,000 lbs of computers to
16,900 tons of aircraft carrier. I have got to lay off the cough syrup.

-- Chris
Phil Stracchino
2004-04-20 00:55:58 UTC
Post by Skeezics Boondoggle
Originally listed at $4.5M, I thought this was the coolest thing ever, and
I was just $4.49M away in saving up my pennies, too! To be able to head
out to international waters, tool around the South Pacific, the Carribean,
the Mediterranean... endless hours of fun getting plotzed and flinging
crap off the front of the ship with the steam catapult... and cruising
into Portland for the Rose Festival, pulling up at the seawall and the
crowds of astonished onlookers, walking casually down the gangway, then
turning and clicking the remote... <BLEEPbloop>
Much hilarity, indeed!
Aye, for lack of mere money .... it would have rocked much ass.
--
.********* Fight Back! It may not be just YOUR life at risk. *********.
: ***@caerllewys.net|phil-***@earthlink.net|***@novylen.net :
: Linux Now! ...Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft. :
Bill Bradford
2004-04-20 01:01:46 UTC
Post by Phil Stracchino
Post by Skeezics Boondoggle
Much hilarity, indeed!
Aye, for lack of mere money .... it would have rocked much ass.
Dave McGuire needs to post the pictures of his friend's nifty rowboat. 8-)

Getting a guided tour was one of the coolest things my wife and I did on our
honeymoon.

Bill
--
bill bradford
austin texas
Nick
2004-04-20 04:24:41 UTC
Or you could go for the New Improved version.. pretty much the same
platform... but scaled up a tiny bit... it uses the main gun off a
A-10...
Nick
Phil Stracchino
2004-04-20 04:30:36 UTC
Post by Nick
Or you could go for the New Improved version.. pretty much the same
platform... but scaled up a tiny bit... it uses the main gun off a
A-10...
Um, that's scaled up a LOT. The 30mm GAU-8A round is MUCH bigger than
the 20mm M61 round. And I don't see any reason why a close-in defense
system would need an anti-armor gun. But I suppose they figure the more
they can throw at an incoming target, the better....