FS: 512M (4x128M) U5/10 DIMMs
Bill Bradford
2002-04-15 18:47:39 UTC
I've got four 128meg DIMMs out of an Ultra 5/10-class box I'd
like to sell. Need to buy a new window AC unit for the bedroom
before summer gets here..

Anyway, here's the output from memconf:

***@chip:~> memconf
hostname: chip.mrbill.net
VoyagerIIi (UltraSPARC-IIi 440MHz)
Memory Interleave Factor = 1-way
socket DIMM1 has a 128MB DIMM
socket DIMM2 has a 128MB DIMM
socket DIMM1 has a 128MB DIMM
socket DIMM2 has a 128MB DIMM
socket DIMM3 has a 128MB DIMM
socket DIMM4 has a 128MB DIMM
socket DIMM3 has a 128MB DIMM
socket DIMM4 has a 128MB DIMM
empty sockets: None
total memory = 1024MB (1GB)

Half of those are available. 8-)

I'd like to get $250 for a set of four 128meg DIMMs.

Bill
--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Mike Johnson
2002-04-15 19:46:39 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
I've got four 128meg DIMMs out of an Ultra 5/10-class box I'd
like to sell. Need to buy a new window AC unit for the bedroom
before summer gets here..
This is a problem I have. My computer room is on the second floor of my
house, and I need to keep the door closed to keep the cats from chewing
through cat5 (thus far, they've avoided the nasty power cables). So, it
gets quite warm in that room in the summer. My problem is that my
homeowners assoc. will not allow for window unit AC's. Surely, someone
else has solved this without going and buying a second 'whole house' AC
unit.

So, what do y'all do for cooling at home?

Ob. rescue: Er, I'm cooling a rescued HP9000 712/60, a few Sparc 5's,
an older Alpha, and various PeeCee's...

Thanks,
Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you! Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
-- Zorak on Space Ghost

GNUPG Key fingerprint = ACD2 2F2F C151 FB35 B3AF C821 89C4 DF9A 5DDD 95D1

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]
Dave McGuire
2002-04-15 19:45:11 UTC
Post by Mike Johnson
This is a problem I have. My computer room is on the second floor of my
house, and I need to keep the door closed to keep the cats from chewing
through cat5 (thus far, they've avoided the nasty power cables). So, it
gets quite warm in that room in the summer. My problem is that my
homeowners assoc. will not allow for window unit AC's. Surely, someone
else has solved this without going and buying a second 'whole house' AC
unit.
So, what do y'all do for cooling at home?
Heh...move to an area without a homeowners' association!
(a.k.a. busybodies and lifestyle conformity enforcers association)

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire "Hush and eat your vegetables, young lady!"
St. Petersburg, FL - Mr. Bill
Mike Johnson
2002-04-15 21:07:17 UTC
Post by Dave McGuire
Heh...move to an area without a homeowners' association!
(a.k.a. busybodies and lifestyle conformity enforcers association)
That's the plan in a few years. :) In the meantime, I'd like to
actually be able to enter that room this summer (North Carolina summers
are always fun).

Mike

Dave McGuire
2002-04-15 21:10:08 UTC
Post by Mike Johnson
Post by Dave McGuire
Heh...move to an area without a homeowners' association!
(a.k.a. busybodies and lifestyle conformity enforcers association)
That's the plan in a few years. :) In the meantime, I'd like to
actually be able to enter that room this summer (North Carolina summers
are always fun).
Yeah. :-/

In the early days of Digex, we used a Movin-Cool...a 10K BTU indoor
a/c on wheels, a little smaller than a washing machine. It had a big
flexible hose (18" or so in diameter) coming out the top that blew out
hot air, and a smaller flexible hose (maybe 8" in diameter) that blew
out cold air. Condensate collected in a catch bucket in the bottom of
the unit.

These things work *great*, but they're somewhat expensive. Digex
wouldn't have made it past 1993 if it weren't for that Movin-Cool.

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire "Hush and eat your vegetables, young lady!"
St. Petersburg, FL - Mr. Bill
Mark Price
2002-04-15 23:20:54 UTC
I've read about using "terra-cooling", and would like to try it.

During the summer, the earth below your house is relatively cool.
With a water pump and lots of copper or copper and plastic piping,
you can plumb a system that exchanges heat from your computer
room down to the earth, maybe 6 feet below the surface.

Or if you have a cool basement or crawlspace, just run a duct
with a fan in it up to your computer room.

Mark
"Fogg, James"
2002-04-15 19:45:54 UTC
There are "portable" A/C units that sit inside the room and expell hot
exhaust through a hose much like a dryer vent. You could easily sneak a
dryer vent out a window. Make a small peice of plywood to fit and close the
window on it.

These units aren't cheap, but they work.

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751

~
[...]
~ --
~ GNUPG Key = http://www.enoch.org/mike/mike.pubkey.asc
~
~
Eric Dittman
2002-04-15 19:48:55 UTC
Post by Mike Johnson
Post by Bill Bradford
I've got four 128meg DIMMs out of an Ultra 5/10-class box I'd
like to sell. Need to buy a new window AC unit for the bedroom
before summer gets here..
This is a problem I have. My computer room is on the second floor of my
house, and I need to keep the door closed to keep the cats from chewing
through cat5 (thus far, they've avoided the nasty power cables). So, it
gets quite warm in that room in the summer. My problem is that my
homeowners assoc. will not allow for window unit AC's. Surely, someone
else has solved this without going and buying a second 'whole house' AC
unit.
I have my computer room on the second floor, at the back of the
house. I, too, have to keep the door shut because of cats (not
only chewing wires, but cat hair is unfriendly to laser printers
and clogs fans). I am able to use a window unit as they aren't
banned by the homeowners' association.

You might want to see about a medical exclusion clause in the
association's rules. I can't seem them restricting anything
necessary for medical reasons, and staying in a hot computer
room is risking dehydration, heat stroke, etc.

I know the FCC rules trumped any homeowners' association
rules on satellite dishes.

They don't need to know the real reason.
--
Eric Dittman
***@dittman.net
Rick Hamell
2002-04-15 21:00:16 UTC
Can any one tell me what the practical cable length is for a 13w3w
monitor cable? I'm hooking up a SGI 21" (HL7965KG-SG for those
interested,) to a rack of Sun Sparc 20's, a Indigo, and a couple of PC's.
The monitor is on a desk across the room. I'm going to be going through a
low-end switch box, but it's monitor only at this point.
Recommendations for decent multi-purpose switch boxes under the $200 range
capable of 4 connections would be appreciated.

Rick
Big Endian
2002-04-15 20:04:23 UTC
Post by Rick Hamell
Can any one tell me what the practical cable length is for a 13w3w
monitor cable? I'm hooking up a SGI 21" (HL7965KG-SG for those
interested,) to a rack of Sun Sparc 20's, a Indigo, and a couple of PC's.
The monitor is on a desk across the room. I'm going to be going through a
low-end switch box, but it's monitor only at this point.
Recommendations for decent multi-purpose switch boxes under the $200 range
capable of 4 connections would be appreciated.
I regularly use a 25 foot cord.. my impression is that if you use
quality cables, you can run for 100s of feet.

daniel
Dave McGuire
2002-04-15 20:05:07 UTC
Post by Rick Hamell
Can any one tell me what the practical cable length is for a 13w3w
monitor cable? I'm hooking up a SGI 21" (HL7965KG-SG for those
interested,) to a rack of Sun Sparc 20's, a Indigo, and a couple of PC's.
The monitor is on a desk across the room. I'm going to be going through a
low-end switch box, but it's monitor only at this point.
Recommendations for decent multi-purpose switch boxes under the $200 range
capable of 4 connections would be appreciated.
I've used DB13W3 monitor cables on Sun systems up to about 25' in
length, maybe 30.

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire "Hush and eat your vegetables, young lady!"
St. Petersburg, FL - Mr. Bill
Bill Bradford
2002-04-15 20:08:28 UTC
Post by Rick Hamell
Can any one tell me what the practical cable length is for a 13w3w
monitor cable? I'm hooking up a SGI 21" (HL7965KG-SG for those
interested,) to a rack of Sun Sparc 20's, a Indigo, and a couple of PC's.
The monitor is on a desk across the room. I'm going to be going through a
low-end switch box, but it's monitor only at this point.
Recommendations for decent multi-purpose switch boxes under the $200 range
capable of 4 connections would be appreciated.
I've held in my hands a 100' (or maybe longer) 13W3 cable.

Bill
--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
William Enestvedt
2002-04-15 20:17:28 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
I've held in my hands a 100' (or maybe longer) 13W3 cable.
Where's the boom-chickachick pimp tuneage? "Heeeey, ladies, check out
*this* coil of video conDUCter..."
-wde
P.S. Sorry, couldn't resist.
--
Will Enestvedt
(.sig amended to free my employer from the embarassment of a juvenile post
like this.)
Gary Nichols
2002-04-15 20:31:56 UTC
Popular with the women Bill?

:-)
Bill
"Fogg, James"
2002-04-15 20:46:19 UTC
~ I've read about using "terra-cooling", and would like to try it.
~
~ During the summer, the earth below your house is relatively cool.
~ With a water pump and lots of copper or copper and plastic piping,
~ you can plumb a system that exchanges heat from your computer
~ room down to the earth, maybe 6 feet below the surface.

These are pretty common off-the-shelf systems now. Its called geothermal.

~
~ Or if you have a cool basement or crawlspace, just run a duct
~ with a fan in it up to your computer room.
~
~ Mark
~

You'll have a huge problem as moist warm air enters the basement and the
moisture condenses on the colder surfaces. In the dark moist basement you'll
quickly have big mold/fungus problems.
James Sharp
2002-04-15 20:49:18 UTC
Post by "Fogg, James"
~ I've read about using "terra-cooling", and would like to try it.
~
~ During the summer, the earth below your house is relatively cool.
~ With a water pump and lots of copper or copper and plastic piping,
~ you can plumb a system that exchanges heat from your computer
~ room down to the earth, maybe 6 feet below the surface.
I wonder what the home owners association would say about him digging up
part of his lawn to install that.
Mike Johnson
2002-04-15 21:05:43 UTC
Post by James Sharp
I wonder what the home owners association would say about him digging up
part of his lawn to install that.
Actually, that would be fine as long as I get approval and all that.
The real problem is that particular room only has one window, and it's
on the front of the house. I think I could get away with a window unit
on the back, but not streetside.

Of course, the lot doesn't have much room for the "cool it with the
earth" solution. :(

Anyone have a line on one of the standalone A/C units? I could pretty
easily run an exhaust hose up through the attic to exhuast under the
eaves. If they're in the $500 range, I imagine I could make the cost
back pretty quickly just on energy savings (I'm relatively certain
that that room is raising the total temperature of the house by at least
a degree, or two).

Thanks for all the replies!

Mike

Bill Bradford
2002-04-15 21:16:33 UTC
Post by Mike Johnson
Anyone have a line on one of the standalone A/C units? I could pretty
easily run an exhaust hose up through the attic to exhuast under the
eaves. If they're in the $500 range, I imagine I could make the cost
back pretty quickly just on energy savings (I'm relatively certain
that that room is raising the total temperature of the house by at least
a degree, or two).
walmart has one (wal-mart.com) for $597.

Bill
--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
"Fogg, James"
2002-04-15 21:04:57 UTC
~ Anyone have a line on one of the standalone A/C units? I could pretty
~ easily run an exhaust hose up through the attic to exhuast under the
~ eaves. If they're in the $500 range, I imagine I could make the cost
~ back pretty quickly just on energy savings (I'm relatively certain
~ that that room is raising the total temperature of the house
~ by at least
~ a degree, or two).
~
~ Thanks for all the replies!

They are in the $700 range and they are all over ebay and in major appliance
stores. Dehlongi is one manufacturer (these units are far more popular in
Europe). Do an ebay search on portable air conditioner, you'll get hundreds
of replies.
Mike Johnson
2002-04-15 21:16:00 UTC
Post by "Fogg, James"
They are in the $700 range and they are all over ebay and in major appliance
stores. Dehlongi is one manufacturer (these units are far more popular in
Europe). Do an ebay search on portable air conditioner, you'll get hundreds
of replies.
Kickass! Found a bunch of 'em. May have to put off the purchase for a
month (until that refund check arrives), but now I know roughly what I'd
need to pay.

Thanks muchly!

Mike
[Not signed since demime'll strip it anyways]