[rescue] Re: geek vehicles
Stuart E. Johnson
2001-08-24 14:06:34 UTC
Chrysler minivans. I've got two; when both are fully loaded the contents
fill about 3 standard nerdfest tables. I've also hauled machines in 8-foot
racks in my Grand Voyager with the seats out. And they're much more
comfortable than a pickup truck.

(Don't ask about hauling 2 PDP 8L's from Milwaukee to Saint Paul in my old
Ford with no working gauges. Let's just say that the PDP's in the box
changed the aerodynamic characteristics of the vehicle and I ran out of gas
5 miles short of my scheduled refueling stop...)
--
-Stuart Johnson

Bill Bradford
2001-08-24 14:55:42 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:06:34AM -0500, Stuart E. Johnson wrote:
> Chrysler minivans. I've got two; when both are fully loaded the contents
> fill about 3 standard nerdfest tables. I've also hauled machines in 8-foot
> racks in my Grand Voyager with the seats out. And they're much more
> comfortable than a pickup truck.

Kia Sportage (my second one) here. I can haul an incredible amount of stuff
with the back seats folded up - in fact I carried three RS/6000 5xx-series
machines (the big deskside ones), four IBM 3151 terminals, and a couple boxes
of tapes and cables in one load, once. Had no room for a passenger, though.

I've got pictures of the full vehicle around here somewhere.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 15:02:51 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:55:42AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:06:34AM -0500, Stuart E. Johnson wrote:
> > Chrysler minivans. I've got two; when both are fully loaded the contents
> > fill about 3 standard nerdfest tables. I've also hauled machines in 8-foot
> > racks in my Grand Voyager with the seats out. And they're much more
> > comfortable than a pickup truck.
>
> Kia Sportage (my second one) here. I can haul an incredible amount of stuff
> with the back seats folded up - in fact I carried three RS/6000 5xx-series
> machines (the big deskside ones), four IBM 3151 terminals, and a couple boxes
> of tapes and cables in one load, once. Had no room for a passenger, though.
>
> I've got pictures of the full vehicle around here somewhere.

What does that do to the suspension on those things? I put a nearly full
load of books into a caravan (well, still with room for 3 passengers), and
the thing was seriously sagging.

Joshua D. Boyd
Mike Nicewonger
2001-08-24 18:48:29 UTC
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, you wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:55:42AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:06:34AM -0500, Stuart E. Johnson wrote:
> > > Chrysler minivans. I've got two; when both are fully loaded the contents
> > > fill about 3 standard nerdfest tables. I've also hauled machines in 8-foot
> > > racks in my Grand Voyager with the seats out. And they're much more
> > > comfortable than a pickup truck.
> >
> > Kia Sportage (my second one) here. I can haul an incredible amount of stuff
> > with the back seats folded up - in fact I carried three RS/6000 5xx-series
> > machines (the big deskside ones), four IBM 3151 terminals, and a couple boxes
> > of tapes and cables in one load, once. Had no room for a passenger, though.

I'm sorry butI have you all beat. '89 Chevy 2500 extended cab truck with big
fiberglass cap. 'Planet-Hauler' is the name that comes to mind. Room for tons
o'stuff and 4+ adults in the cab.

I love my truck :)

-Mike N
James Lockwood
2001-08-24 15:23:37 UTC
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Kia Sportage (my second one) here. I can haul an incredible amount of stuff
> with the back seats folded up - in fact I carried three RS/6000 5xx-series
> machines (the big deskside ones), four IBM 3151 terminals, and a couple boxes
> of tapes and cables in one load, once. Had no room for a passenger, though.

International 1160 (cross between an 1110 and a 1210) truck with a lumber
rack. I've had 2 tons of cargo in the bed and aside from some increased
brake pedal effort, the truck rode better than when empty.

-James [I need an IH Travelall next]

--
James Lockwood
Guy on Summer Vacation (dot-com bombed)
http://www.foonly.com/resume/
Mike Hebel
2001-08-24 15:54:54 UTC
JL> -James [I need an IH Travelall next]

I have a '72 Travelall 1100 to restore currently in a storage yard.

Complete with rust and a working 392 V8. ;-)

Know any good places for parts for these? The main tank is shot on
it.

Mike Hebel mailto:***@crosswinds.net

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.html

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.doc
Mike Nicewonger
2001-08-24 18:50:50 UTC
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, you wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > Kia Sportage (my second one) here. I can haul an incredible amount of stuff
> > with the back seats folded up - in fact I carried three RS/6000 5xx-series
> > machines (the big deskside ones), four IBM 3151 terminals, and a couple boxes
> > of tapes and cables in one load, once. Had no room for a passenger, though.
>
> International 1160 (cross between an 1110 and a 1210) truck with a lumber
> rack. I've had 2 tons of cargo in the bed and aside from some increased
> brake pedal effort, the truck rode better than when empty.

Most kick butt!!

My dad had an 1100 4x4 for years :) Mom always wanted a travelall.

-Mike N
Fogg, James
2001-08-24 15:43:18 UTC
> What does that do to the suspension on those things? I put a
> nearly full
> load of books into a caravan (well, still with room for 3
> passengers), and
> the thing was seriously sagging.

Yeah, but books have no air.

Things with air in them weigh a lot less. Those books probably weighed more
than you think. Infact, by the cubic foot, paper weighs more than wood
(because wood has more air and than paper fiber). For the cubic space
occupied by those books you probably could have hauled 2 or 3 times as much
wood (thus filling your minivan completely with wood?).
joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 15:46:41 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:43:18AM -0700, Fogg, James wrote:
> Things with air in them weigh a lot less. Those books probably weighed more
> than you think. Infact, by the cubic foot, paper weighs more than wood
> (because wood has more air and than paper fiber). For the cubic space
> occupied by those books you probably could have hauled 2 or 3 times as much
> wood (thus filling your minivan completely with wood?).

Yeah, probably. We used to haul a lot of wood in an old Dodge station
wagon. Then we found that if we thought ahead, we could pay the same
amount, but get a dump truck load delivered instead of picking up a
station wagon load ourselves. So, that is what we do. Every year, two or
three dump truck loads of scrap wood are dropped off for us to burn for
heat. Yearly heating bill? Somewhere around $90.

Joshua D. Boyd
Fogg, James
2001-08-24 15:46:32 UTC
> Kia Sportage (my second one) here.

Suzuki Sidekick Sport (like a Kia Sportage, only slightly nicer). This was
my first and I loved it so much I got the wife a Chevy Tracker (same thing).
The 4 cylinder Sidekick even tows my boat with no problems (with a full
passenger load and the A/C on I can only hold 55mph though, the aerodynamics
of a pontoon boat suck).
Bill Bradford
2001-08-24 16:01:02 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:46:32AM -0700, Fogg, James wrote:
> Suzuki Sidekick Sport (like a Kia Sportage, only slightly nicer). This was
> my first and I loved it so much I got the wife a Chevy Tracker (same thing).

Front or rear-wheel drive?

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Fogg, James
2001-08-24 16:15:31 UTC
4X4, rear drive in 2X4 mode. Outstanding performance in snow (something you
don't have to worry about). I can attest to driving through 2 feet of snow
on an unplowed street (not a drift/berm, but constant unplowed 2 feet snow).
The wife's truck performs simularly (hers is a 4X4 2-door convertable and
mine is a 4-door hardtop). But I wouldn't tow the boat with her truck
(smaller 4-cyl engine).

r***@sunhelp.org
2001-08-24 16:20:31 UTC
'97 Tacoma 4x4. Rescues anything(including me, sometimes!)

As soon as I get my 8000lb. winch installed, I can go on rescues in the
Alaskan tundra, if need be. :)

===============================
Ed Mitchell (ed<-at->the7thbeer.com)
Finger for PGP public key
===============================
This boxen's uptime stats....
9:17am up 36 day(s), 23:30, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.01
Bill Bradford
2001-08-24 16:26:00 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:20:31AM -0700, ***@the7thbeer.com wrote:
> As soon as I get my 8000lb. winch installed, I can go on rescues in the
> Alaskan tundra, if need be. :)

"Dude, just hook the chain to the pallet, and DRAG THAT SUMBITCH HOME! 8-)"

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Michael S. Schiller
2001-08-25 00:07:59 UTC
I've got an old Dodge 1 ton dually 4x4 pickup with a Cummins turbodiesel in
it. That, and the 1300# capacity liftgate on it makes for a truck that can
rescue lots of stuff! (So far I've had a SS690 in it, a 670, a SC2000, etc.) I
drove from somewhere in OH back down to TN with the SC2000 in the bed,
couldn't even tell it was there from the handling of the truck!

-Mike

Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:20:31AM -0700, ***@the7thbeer.com wrote:
> > As soon as I get my 8000lb. winch installed, I can go on rescues in the
> > Alaskan tundra, if need be. :)
>
> "Dude, just hook the chain to the pallet, and DRAG THAT SUMBITCH HOME! 8-)"
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Bradford
> ***@mrbill.net
> Austin, TX

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E 48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: ***@agrijag.com \|||/ http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349 (o o) FAX: 423-623-9054 *
*-------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo------------------------*
Dave McGuire
2001-08-24 16:49:41 UTC
On August 24, ***@the7thbeer.com wrote:
> '97 Tacoma 4x4. Rescues anything(including me, sometimes!)
>
> As soon as I get my 8000lb. winch installed, I can go on rescues in the
> Alaskan tundra, if need be. :)

1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)

http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Bill Bradford
2001-08-24 16:59:16 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:49:41PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> 1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
> http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.
> -Dave

We already *know* that you win. Thats a given in any discussion. 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Dave McGuire
2001-08-24 17:05:33 UTC
On August 24, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > 1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
> > http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.
>
> We already *know* that you win. Thats a given in any discussion. 8-)

Not quite any discussion. Not even most of them. ;)

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 17:09:45 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 11:59:16AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:49:41PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > 1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
> > http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.
> > -Dave
>
> We already *know* that you win. Thats a given in any discussion. 8-)

Not if we shift the topic to tricked out luxury sedans. So, whos been
doing interesting things with Jags or Bentleys recently?

Joshua D. Boyd
Dave McGuire
2001-08-24 17:25:49 UTC
On August 24, joshua d boyd wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 11:59:16AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:49:41PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > > 1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
> > > http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.
> > > -Dave
> >
> > We already *know* that you win. Thats a given in any discussion. 8-)
>
> Not if we shift the topic to tricked out luxury sedans. So, whos been
> doing interesting things with Jags or Bentleys recently?

My mom has a 1956 Buick Super...does that count?

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Dan Canaan
2001-08-24 17:49:47 UTC
At 01:25 PM 8/24/01 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>> Not if we shift the topic to tricked out luxury sedans. So, whos been
>> doing interesting things with Jags or Bentleys recently?

'68 Triumph Spitfire convertible. Same horrible electrical system as Jags
and most UK cars (Lucas, the prince of darkness).

Support vehicle is a 94 Astro minivan with a full lightbar on the roof for
roadside assistance. Lots of flashing lights. :)
| | 1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III * Furry Artist |
| Flinthoof |--------------------------------------------------------|
| | MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!! |
| Dan |--------------------------------------------------------|
| Canaan | ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle! |
| |--------------------------------------------------------|
| CONIFUR NW | ***@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com |
|_____________|________________________________________________________|
Dan Canaan
2001-08-24 17:49:47 UTC

|_____________|________________________________________________________|
joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 17:08:46 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:49:41PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On August 24, ***@the7thbeer.com wrote:
> > '97 Tacoma 4x4. Rescues anything(including me, sometimes!)
> >
> > As soon as I get my 8000lb. winch installed, I can go on rescues in the
> > Alaskan tundra, if need be. :)
>
> 1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
>
> http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.

Just what the world needs to see. A drunken man with an indestructable
vehicle and a loaded shutgun.

Joshua D. Boyd
Bill Bradford
2001-08-24 17:17:59 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:08:46PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> Just what the world needs to see. A drunken man with an indestructable
> vehicle and a loaded shutgun.

You've never been to Texas, have you.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 17:54:44 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:17:59PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:08:46PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > Just what the world needs to see. A drunken man with an indestructable
> > vehicle and a loaded shutgun.
>
> You've never been to Texas, have you.

Nope. Furthest west I've been is Michigan.

Joshua D. Boyd
Gregory Leblanc
2001-08-24 22:31:21 UTC
On Fri, 2001-08-24 at 10:54, joshua d boyd wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:17:59PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:08:46PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > > Just what the world needs to see. A drunken man with an indestructable
> > > vehicle and a loaded shutgun.
> >
> > You've never been to Texas, have you.
>
> Nope. Furthest west I've been is Michigan.

You do realize that parts of Texas are south of Michigan, and perhaps
even further east than that, right?
Greg
joshua d boyd
2001-08-25 04:47:13 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 03:31:21PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > Nope. Furthest west I've been is Michigan.
>
> You do realize that parts of Texas are south of Michigan, and perhaps
> even further east than that, right?

Err, no I didn't. I was near the lake. Michigan is still a lot closer
and more similar to Lancaster than Texas seems to be.

Joshua D. Boyd
Chad Fernandez
2001-08-25 05:09:48 UTC
Greg,

All of Texas is south of Michigan :-) I think all of it is west of
Michigan, as well. The very small map (icon size) I am looking at, has
Texas further west of even the most western part of the UP (upper
peninsula).

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA

Fogg, James
2001-08-24 16:23:00 UTC
oh.. by the way, my Sidekick has 210 thousand miles on it and its going
strong. Only two repairs (A/C condenser and exhaust) and burns no oil. Runs
like it did on the first day.

r***@sunhelp.org
2001-08-24 17:05:33 UTC
Oh believe me...I've been having dreams like that. Just waiting for one,
stupid little part to come in....grrrrrrr....

The scary thing is the truck only weighs about 3200 lbs. I'd have to
chain down to a big tree to yank something like that. :D

r***@sunhelp.org
2001-08-24 17:06:01 UTC
*whimper*

r***@sunhelp.org
2001-08-24 17:07:53 UTC
Hey, wait. Would an M35A2 6x6 beat a Unimog? Cause I've got a bid in on
one with a GSA auction. *crossesfingers* ;)

Dave McGuire
2001-08-24 17:26:25 UTC
On August 24, ***@the7thbeer.com wrote:
> Hey, wait. Would an M35A2 6x6 beat a Unimog? Cause I've got a bid in on
> one with a GSA auction. *crossesfingers* ;)

Maybe. What is it?

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Brian Hechinger
2001-08-25 01:26:02 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:26:25PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On August 24, ***@the7thbeer.com wrote:
> > Hey, wait. Would an M35A2 6x6 beat a Unimog? Cause I've got a bid in on
> > one with a GSA auction. *crossesfingers* ;)
>
> Maybe. What is it?

Deuce and a half. 6x6 with double tires in the rear. they came with straight
gasonline engines, or the wonderous Multifuel that ran anything that was
remotely combustable. with a snorkle could easily handle 8' of water. have
a winch on the front the likes of you have never seen before. these things
are AWESOME. i love them. there is a guy who sells them locally, although he
wants about $13K each (with all the options) and i just recently missed one that
was on sale in Chicago for $5K. it was made by Jeep, and it was in MINT
condition.

-brian
Dave McGuire
2001-08-25 03:20:41 UTC
On August 24, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:26:25PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > On August 24, ***@the7thbeer.com wrote:
> > > Hey, wait. Would an M35A2 6x6 beat a Unimog? Cause I've got a bid in on
> > > one with a GSA auction. *crossesfingers* ;)
> >
> > Maybe. What is it?
>
> Deuce and a half. 6x6 with double tires in the rear. they came with straight
> gasonline engines, or the wonderous Multifuel that ran anything that was
> remotely combustable. with a snorkle could easily handle 8' of water. have
> a winch on the front the likes of you have never seen before. these things
> are AWESOME. i love them. there is a guy who sells them locally, although he
> wants about $13K each (with all the options) and i just recently missed one that
> was on sale in Chicago for $5K. it was made by Jeep, and it was in MINT
> condition.

Oh My. That sounds EXTREMELY studly.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Dave McGuire
2001-08-25 03:29:35 UTC
On August 24, Reagen B . Ward wrote:
> > Deuce and a half. 6x6 with double tires in the rear. they came with straight
> > gasonline engines, or the wonderous Multifuel that ran anything that was
> > remotely combustable. with a snorkle could easily handle 8' of water. have
> > a winch on the front the likes of you have never seen before. these things
> > are AWESOME. i love them.
>
> Where would one park such a thing?

ANYWHERE ONE WANTS.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Bill Bradford
2001-08-25 03:38:43 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:29:53PM -0500, Reagen B . Ward wrote:
> Where would one park such a thing?

Driveway? Dave's Mog is parked between his and Mike N's house,
in front of where the Porsche sits.

BTW - for amphibians, ever thought of calling the place in Austin
that does the "duck tours" and asking where they got theirs?

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Chad Fernandez
2001-08-25 05:38:58 UTC
Oh, that's what you are talking about a 2.5 ton 6x6 :-) I've wanted one
of those for awhile too. They come in a 5 ton variety too. I here the
military is phasing out the 2.5 ton model in favor of the 5 because the
5 will do anything and more the 2.5 will do.

I didn't think any of them were actually built by Jeep, but rather AM
General or Kaiser.

I regularly see one or two in the Michigan Auto and RV. An Illinois
version also exits, ever look at it? You'll probably have to be outside
Chicago to find it, However.

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA

Al Potter
2001-08-24 17:33:17 UTC

> Hey, wait. Would an M35A2 6x6 beat a Unimog? Cause I've got a bid in on
> one with a GSA auction. *crossesfingers* ;)

I doubt it, having spent lot of time around both.

And I'll cross my fingers for you, hoping you DON'T win. Old military vehicles are a big enuf PITA to keep running from the inside of the system, where you have access to the parts, maintenance manuals and expertise.

AL
Al Potter
2001-08-24 17:35:32 UTC

***@cs.millersville.edu said:
> Not if we shift the topic to tricked out luxury sedans. So, whos been
> doing interesting things with Jags or Bentleys recently?

Interesting, as in jump start `em?

<grumble> Lucas Electrics......

/me slips into his "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" t-shirt.....

AL
joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 17:59:41 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:35:32PM -0400, Al Potter wrote:
> Interesting, as in jump start `em?

How hard can that be if it still uses a regular battery (or doesn't it?).

> <grumble> Lucas Electrics......
>
> /me slips into his "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" t-shirt.....

Don't know anything about any of them other than that Jags are a nice
ride, and look reasonably fun to drive.

Joshua D. Boyd
Kurt Mosiejczuk
2001-08-24 17:44:35 UTC
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > We already *know* that you win. Thats a given in any discussion. 8-)

> Not quite any discussion. Not even most of them. ;)

Well, most of the ones that happen on THIS list =)

--Kurt
Al Potter
2001-08-24 18:29:08 UTC

***@cs.millersville.edu said:

>> Interesting, as in jump start `em?
>
> How hard can that be if it still uses a regular battery (or doesn't
> it?).

You have obviously never owned or been around a british automobile. They all
have incredibly shitty electrical systems manufactured by Lucas Electrics.
This (mis)feature often renders an otherwise fine piece of engineering
completely unreliable.

obLucas_Joke: Q: Why do the Brits drink warm bier?
A: They all have Lucas Refrigerators.

obASCII-Art:

Three-position Headlight Switches, by manufacturer:

Off Park On Off Dim Flicker
\ | / \ | /
\ | / \ | /
\ | / \ | /
O O

AC/Delco Lucas Electrics

Hope this clears things up....

AL
(Who has owned 5 MGs, and used to work on them for a living)
joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 19:25:26 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 02:29:08PM -0400, Al Potter wrote:
> You have obviously never owned or been around a british automobile. They all
> have incredibly shitty electrical systems manufactured by Lucas Electrics.
> This (mis)feature often renders an otherwise fine piece of engineering
> completely unreliable.

So, how hard is it to replace the electronics systems?

Joshua D. Boyd
Bill Bradford
2001-08-24 20:12:23 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 03:25:26PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> So, how hard is it to replace the electronics systems?

So, how many theoretical questions are you gonna ask? 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Dave McGuire
2001-08-24 23:58:36 UTC
On August 24, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > So, how hard is it to replace the electronics systems?
>
> So, how many theoretical questions are you gonna ask? 8-)

He's in COLLEGE, Bill. ;)

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Ken Hansen
2001-08-25 03:02:11 UTC
So how many retorical questions are you going to ask Bill? ;^)

Ken

joshua d boyd
2001-08-25 04:44:29 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 03:12:23PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 03:25:26PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > So, how hard is it to replace the electronics systems?
>
> So, how many theoretical questions are you gonna ask? 8-)

Well, I realize that it isn't at all the same thing, but it wasn't hard to
replace all the wiring in a Cub Cadet, and some of those british cars
aren't that much larger. Of course, I don't think I would fit in those
particular cars (based on the Miata not being a valid option either).

Joshua D. Boyd
Dave McGuire
2001-08-24 23:55:37 UTC
On August 24, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > You have obviously never owned or been around a british automobile. They all
> > have incredibly shitty electrical systems manufactured by Lucas Electrics.
> > This (mis)feature often renders an otherwise fine piece of engineering
> > completely unreliable.
>
> So, how hard is it to replace the electronics systems?

Car electrical systems are amongst the worst things IN THE WORLD to
work on.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Dave McGuire
2001-08-24 23:54:05 UTC
On August 24, Al Potter wrote:
> (Who has owned 5 MGs, and used to work on them for a living)

Ahh, cool. I had a 1974 MGB for a while, about ten years ago. That
car was lots of fun, and SO easy to work on...

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Brian Hechinger
2001-08-25 01:21:58 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 07:54:05PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> Ahh, cool. I had a 1974 MGB for a while, about ten years ago. That

i had a '52 that i never got running. lack of time and cash. ended up giving
it to an MG freak i know. he made that car BEAUTIFUL.

> car was lots of fun, and SO easy to work on...

yeah, ain't that the truth. only like 3 moving parts in the whole damn car. :)

and this of course makes me this of a joke i know:

Q: Why don't the British make computers?
A: They haven't figured out how to make them leak oil yet.

cheerio!

-brian
David Cantrell
2001-08-24 18:57:03 UTC
Bill Bradford <***@mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:06:34AM -0500, Stuart E. Johnson wrote:
> > Chrysler minivans. I've got two; when both are fully loaded the contents
> > fill about 3 standard nerdfest tables...
> Kia Sportage (my second one) here. I can haul an incredible amount of stuff
> with the back seats folded up ...

Sad to say, but I've sold my Landrover 101, so no carrying the world for
me any more. Haven't replaced it yet. I'm not sure what my next motor
will be, but I'm very tempted by a Jaguar XJS.

--
David Cantrell | ***@cantrell.org.uk | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

Educating this luser would be something to frustrate even the
unflappable Yoda and make him jam a lightsaber up his arse
while screaming "praise evil, the Dark Side is your friend!".
-- Derek Balling, in the Monastery
Dave McGuire
2001-08-25 00:00:30 UTC
On August 24, Peter Joules wrote:
> > Sad to say, but I've sold my Landrover 101, so no carrying the world for
> > me any more. Haven't replaced it yet. I'm not sure what my next motor
> > will be, but I'm very tempted by a Jaguar XJS.
>
> My vehicle is just slightly smaller than that... A Reliant Rialto. Are there
> any three wheeled cars in America? or is it a Eurpoean thing?

The culture here is so dumbed-down nowadays that seeing anything
other than a traditional four-wheeled sedan on the road will cause
most peoples' minds to explode.

Anything unusual is DIFFERENT, and different is BAAAAAAD.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Bill Bradford
2001-08-25 01:07:04 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:00:30PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> Anything unusual is DIFFERENT, and different is BAAAAAAD.

Especially if it has WIIIRESSSS.

I just got back from seeing "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". If you're
a Kevin Smith fan at ALL, GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
joshua d boyd
2001-08-25 05:10:20 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:00:30PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On August 24, Peter Joules wrote:
> > My vehicle is just slightly smaller than that... A Reliant Rialto. Are there
> > any three wheeled cars in America? or is it a Eurpoean thing?
>
> The culture here is so dumbed-down nowadays that seeing anything
> other than a traditional four-wheeled sedan on the road will cause
> most peoples' minds to explode.
>
> Anything unusual is DIFFERENT, and different is BAAAAAAD.

Why would a 3 wheel car be considered good? When we banned manufactor of
3 wheeled ATVs, it was considered a good thing.

Joshua D. Boyd
Dave McGuire
2001-08-25 05:17:56 UTC
On August 25, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > Anything unusual is DIFFERENT, and different is BAAAAAAD.
>
> Why would a 3 wheel car be considered good? When we banned manufactor of
> 3 wheeled ATVs, it was considered a good thing.

Ok...bear in mind that I'm getting to a point by asking this...but
why do you think that was a good thing?

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Mike Free
2001-08-25 05:37:53 UTC
well, 3 wheels done properly for a car involves having 1 at the rear.

besides, there were indeed 3 wheel cars made in america, they were called
davis, in the early fifties. Big flop. I think most of what's holding it
back now is the packaging problems iinherent in needing to either enclose a
turning or driving wheel and/or pinching your vehicle down to a point at one
end, coupled with handling that can be dangerous for an
unskilled/inattentive driver.

Mike Free

Chad Fernandez
2001-08-25 05:30:57 UTC
Different?? How about the new Chevy Avalanche, or the Pontiac Aztec? I
still laugh at people that drive Aztecs, they have got to be the dumbest
looking vehicle sold in the US, plus most aren't even 4x4s as you would
think they would be, they're FWD!

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA

Patrick Giagnocavo
2001-08-25 05:43:26 UTC
>Different?? How about the new Chevy Avalanche, or the Pontiac Aztec? I
>still laugh at people that drive Aztecs, they have got to be the dumbest
>looking vehicle sold in the US, plus most aren't even 4x4s as you would
>think they would be, they're FWD!

They are based on the Pontiac minivan platform.

I looked at one with the GT options. Laughable.

They had these little plastic drawers that fit into the moulding on the
back, you would snap them off if you weren't careful. Cheapest plastic,
like what you find in a lowend Neon.

FWD in this case = FUBAR'ed When Driving

./patrick
Patrick Giagnocavo
2001-08-25 01:08:22 UTC

> Anything unusual is DIFFERENT, and different is BAAAAAAD.

And probably RADIOACTIVE.

./patrick
Dave McGuire
2001-08-25 01:10:13 UTC
On August 24, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> > Anything unusual is DIFFERENT, and different is BAAAAAAD.
> >

> And probably RADIOACTIVE.

"Is it atomic?"

"Yes, VERY atomic!"

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Peter Joules
2001-08-25 02:38:17 UTC
On Friday 24 August 2001 14:57, David Cantrell wrote:

> Sad to say, but I've sold my Landrover 101, so no carrying the world for
> me any more. Haven't replaced it yet. I'm not sure what my next motor
> will be, but I'm very tempted by a Jaguar XJS.

My vehicle is just slightly smaller than that... A Reliant Rialto. Are there
any three wheeled cars in America? or is it a Eurpoean thing?

I am also restoring a VW Type 2 Camper, and have 3 motorcycles.

--
Regards
Pete
Chad Fernandez
2001-08-25 05:17:54 UTC
No three wheeled cars. We do have a few 3 wheeled cycle conversions
however, usually based on Honda Goldwings..... I assume they are
conversions any way, as they definitely aren't sidecars.

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA

David Cantrell
2001-08-24 19:02:53 UTC
James Lockwood <***@foonly.com> wrote:
> International 1160 (cross between an 1110 and a 1210) truck with a lumber
> rack. I've had 2 tons of cargo in the bed and aside from some increased
> brake pedal effort, the truck rode better than when empty.

Of course. Trucks are designed for carrying a load - not that you'd think
so from the way most people drive them - and so the suspension and chassis
and everything are designed to perform better like that. My Landrover
was somewhat skittish when empty, and the back end was a bit
temperamental at speed. It behaved itself a lot better when I put a few
hundred pounds of ballast over the back axle.

Al Potter
2001-08-24 19:29:51 UTC

***@cs.millersville.edu said:
> So, how hard is it to replace the electronics systems?

Not electronics (in most cases), electrical. The whole wiring harness is
shit. Later switches tend to disintegrate at random.

AL
David Cantrell
2001-08-24 19:31:58 UTC
Al Potter <***@icsa.net> wrote:
> ***@cs.millersville.edu said:
> > Not if we shift the topic to tricked out luxury sedans. So, whos been
> > doing interesting things with Jags or Bentleys recently?
> Interesting, as in jump start `em?
>
> <grumble> Lucas Electrics......

What on earth is wrong with Lucas electrics? Never given me any problems.

joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 19:36:38 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:31:58PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> What on earth is wrong with Lucas electrics? Never given me any problems.

Never given me any problems either. However, now would be an appropriate
time to mention that I've never done more than touch the exterior of a
british car as it sat in a parking lot.

Joshua D. Boyd
Al Potter
2001-08-24 19:36:19 UTC

***@cantrell.org.uk said:
> What on earth is wrong with Lucas electrics? Never given me any
> problems.

"Earth" is precisely what's wrong on models up till the mid 60s (if memory
serves) as they were positive earth (the ground was positive).

Seriously, the electrical systems seem to give American owners nothing but
trouble. I don't know why, but you're not the first UK owner who has told me
that they have never had trouble.

Most of us have never had anything but.

I've often wondered if it hs something to do with the modifications of the
basic cars done for import into the US.

AL
Michael S. Schiller
2001-08-25 03:27:57 UTC
Must be something to do with driving on the wrong side of the car. I guess when
they build a left hand drive model they put in a crappy electical package, and a
right hand car gets the 'good' electronics! :)

-Mike

*-------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo------------------------*
Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez
2001-08-24 19:36:32 UTC
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On August 24, ***@the7thbeer.com wrote:
> > '97 Tacoma 4x4. Rescues anything(including me, sometimes!)
> >
> > As soon as I get my 8000lb. winch installed, I can go on rescues in the
> > Alaskan tundra, if need be. :)
>
> 1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
>
> http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.
>
> -Dave

Hot Damn! We had some of these when I served in one of them European
mandatory draft army thingies (you Americans have it too easy with that
"voluntary" Army!). They can go through *ANY* thing, and I am not kidding.

The funny thing is that one of these trucks was getting some serious low
mileage, the mechanic corps could not figure out what was wrong with the
machine. Until one of the Captains ordered the fuel tanks to be revised,
they found out that almost half of the tank's volume was taken by old
cigarette butts. Seems that people liked to hide behind that specific
truck to smoke (was not allowed around base or during maneuvers), so as
soon as an officer came too close they would dump them cigaretters into
the deposit. Which even though was is diesel, it's a bit too ballsy of a
proposition. That is what happens when you have way too many people with
college degrees forced to serve in the Army, some of them are bound to
have some serious knowledge about the interactions of cigarette butts and
diesel fuel.

Aaaaahhhh.... good times, good times.

BTW in keeping with the subject, I once hauled an SGI power series
(4D/440) in the trunk of my 1st gen Acura Integra Hatchback. I drove from
LA to San Francisco in the morning, pick up the machine back to LA by the
evening. Over 800 miles in a single day half of those with a 200lb
machine.

Then it was the time when we had to borrow an old, and by most accounts
unsafe dodge van, with no muffler. The machine would backfire every other
mile. Scaring the hell out of us. We got the VAX into the machine but one
of the springs in the van was bad so it would tilt dangerously during the
CA-110 curves. The van had almost no brakes. Now that I think about it, I
almost risked my life to get a VAX-11 in my apartment. Once we got it in,
we had to run a clandestine powerline from the laundry room. So we could
only run the machine at night. The downstairs neighbours complained to the
dorm's advisors because something terrible happened around midnight
every other night on top of them. We figured out it was the incredible
shaking that the machine went through until the big ol' Fujitsu eagle
drives were spinning up when powered up.....
Neil McNeight
2001-08-24 19:48:48 UTC
> From: <***@the7thbeer.com>
>
> Hey, wait. Would an M35A2 6x6 beat a Unimog? Cause I've got a bid in on
> one with a GSA auction. *crossesfingers* ;)

Are those the amphibious ones with the NBC switch for the air system? If
so, I came -><- *this* close to bidding on one at a DRMO auction once.
I still miss my 1972 Cadillac Sedan de Ville.

-Neil

---------------------------------------------------+-------------------
"There is more to life than increasing its speed." | Neil McNeight
-Mahatma Gandhi | ***@umich.edu
---------------------------------------------------+-------------------
r***@sunhelp.org
2001-08-24 19:54:51 UTC
Not sure if they have NBC gear on them. Most that I have seen are open
cab and not well designed for NBC threats.

Fogg, James
2001-08-24 20:06:14 UTC
> ***@cantrell.org.uk said:
> Seriously, the electrical systems seem to give American
> owners nothing but
> trouble. I don't know why, but you're not the first UK owner
> who has told me
> that they have never had trouble.

The old e-types I played with all had electrical problems. But the cause was
always obvious... salt! Corrosion from a water/salt environment caused by
the U.S. habit of applying chloride compounds to the roads during the winter
months. American electricals use a high Beryllium (spelling) content in
copper contacts and connectors. British motor cars seem to use pure copper.
Also U.S. connectors use a firm housing that limits vibration and water
entry where brits were often naked spade lugs and screws.

Do brits not use chlorides to melt ice?
Peter Joules
2001-08-25 02:46:32 UTC
On Friday 24 August 2001 16:06, you wrote:

> Do brits not use chlorides to melt ice?

Yes they put tons of salt on the road in winter. It rots everything in sight.

IMHO it is also counterproductive as far as road safety is concerned as
poeple in cars assume that there is no ice, and then blame 'black ice' when
they go through the hedge because they were surprised to find ice in an
ambient temperature below zero. Of course on a bike, one has to drive
properly because crashing isn't an acceptable option.

--
Regards
Pete
Dunbar, Brian
2001-08-24 21:31:59 UTC
From: ***@the7thbeer.com [mailto:***@the7thbeer.com]

Not sure if they have NBC gear on them. Most that I have seen are open
cab and not well designed for NBC threats.

> > Hey, wait. Would an M35A2 6x6 beat a Unimog? Cause I've got a bid in
on
> > one with a GSA auction. *crossesfingers* ;)
>
> Are those the amphibious ones with the NBC switch for the air system? If
> so, I came -><- *this* close to bidding on one at a DRMO auction once.
> I still miss my 1972 Cadillac Sedan de Ville.<<

If memory serves, the M35s had a fording kit - exhaust pipe extenstions plus
other goodies, - able to ford water up to about here <gestures at neck> but
they can't swim.

I vagually recall that there was a mount for an overpressure device - sucked
air in (through a filter, I hope) and kept the bad stuff out. I *know*
there was such a critter for the GMC pickup trucks that I drove in the
Marines, and you could scarecely call the cabs on a GMC well sealed . . .

BrianD
James Lockwood
2001-08-24 21:56:00 UTC
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Al Potter wrote:

> "Earth" is precisely what's wrong on models up till the mid 60s (if memory
> serves) as they were positive earth (the ground was positive).

So were many vintage American vehicles. My parents '48 Chevy panel truck
was 6V positive ground from the factory, though the electrical system on
those was simple enough that doing a 12V negative ground was a cinch.

> I've often wondered if it hs something to do with the modifications of the
> basic cars done for import into the US.

I don't think so. Speaking as someone who put some effort into a Sunbeam
Alpine and a few MG's, the quality of the wiring just sucks. Physically
stressed wires, low quality insulation and marginal interconnects were
common.

-James

http://www.foonly.com/resume/
G W Adkins
2001-08-24 22:09:20 UTC
> I don't think so. Speaking as someone who put some effort into a Sunbeam
> Alpine and a few MG's, the quality of the wiring just sucks. Physically
> stressed wires, low quality insulation and marginal interconnects were
> common.

having re-built a 76 Sptfire from the ground up (no pun intended) I can also
render the opinion that the wiring in british cars sucks ass. I had to
replace the ENTIRE harness with one built from scratch to get it up and
running properly. Not to mention the addition of lines where there should
have been but weren't according to plan.

George
Al Potter
2001-08-24 22:10:32 UTC

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Al Potter wrote:
>
> > "Earth" is precisely what's wrong on models up till the mid 60s (if memory
> > serves) as they were positive earth (the ground was positive).
>
> So were many vintage American vehicles.

Yeah, but this continued with brit cars into the _60's_....

> > I've often wondered if it hs something to do with the modifications of the
> > basic cars done for import into the US.
>
> I don't think so. Speaking as someone who put some effort into a Sunbeam
> Alpine and a few MG's, the quality of the wiring just sucks. Physically
> stressed wires, low quality insulation and marginal interconnects were
> common.

That about sums it up...

Sometimes, I really miss my MGB. I felt like it fit like a glove. Then I
think of the electrical nightmares.... umpteen alternator failures, points in
the fuel pump going bad, electrical overdrive that didn't, dashboard switches
falling apart for no damn good reason, etc, etc and I'm glad to be driving
something reliably (german) over-engineered.

AL
bill pointon
2001-08-24 22:35:21 UTC
Joshua D. Boyd wrote ------
Not if we shift the topic to tricked out luxury sedans.
So, whos been
doing interesting things with Jags or Bentleys
recently? ----------------

i have an 85 audi 5000 i have been barely keeping running -- i hate -nonelectric-polution-causing- cars but when my last died and i needed a replacement i found this for a good price ------ it needs work but has been
at least dependable but has the most comfortable long drive car ive ever sat in for my long legs and arms -- only 6ft2 really but like to drive with arms extended

--- bill pointon --wpointon at earthlink dot net
Kurt Huhn
2001-08-24 23:34:07 UTC
> at least dependable but has the most comfortable long drive car ive ever
sat in for my long legs and arms -- only 6ft2 really but like to drive with
arms extended

Have you tried a Ford Taurus? My '95 GL is, hands down, one of the most
comfortable cars I have *ever* sat in. Mine has a full-electric drivers
seat - slam it to the floor, tilt it back, and slide it aaaaaalllllll the
way back to comfort distance.

Kurt
Al Potter
2001-08-24 22:37:58 UTC

***@linuxweasel.com said:
> > > You've never been to Texas, have you.
>
> > Nope. Furthest west I've been is Michigan.

> You do realize that parts of Texas are south of Michigan, and perhaps
> even further east than that, right?

Michigan..... isn't that part of Canada or something?

<GD&R>

AL
Chad Fernandez
2001-08-25 05:26:38 UTC
Actually quite a few states are further north.

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA

David Cantrell
2001-08-24 22:39:07 UTC
"Fogg, James" <***@vicinity.com> wrote:
> > ***@cantrell.org.uk said:
> > Seriously, the electrical systems seem to give American
> > owners nothing but
> > trouble. I don't know why, but you're not the first UK owner
> > who has told me
> > that they have never had trouble.
>
> The old e-types I played with all had electrical problems. But the cause was
> always obvious... salt! Corrosion from a water/salt environment caused by
> the U.S. habit of applying chloride compounds to the roads during the winter
> months.

Ah, yes, that would be a culprit. Whilst we do use salt on the roads here
occasionally, we don't use much, as our maritime climate doesn't need it,
and what little we do use gets washed off pretty quickly by the constant
rain :-)

Without the Gulf Stream to keep our temperatures high throughout the
winter, we'd use a great deal more salt.

Bran Tregare
2001-08-24 23:08:09 UTC
Chevy G-20 3/4 ton van :) and a Subaru wagon.. both very good at hauling :)
Larry Snyder
2001-08-25 00:59:43 UTC

> 1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
>
> http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.
>
> -Dave
I don't think MBZ ever made a loser (well, maybe the 190sl). Unimog's
rock! Have you picked up a g-wagen for the more day-to-day stuff?
There's a story where a g-wagen owner asked to be buried in his,
because the hole had yet to be dug that the G couldn't get him out of.
:-)
-ls-
Dave McGuire
2001-08-25 01:12:00 UTC
On August 24, Larry Snyder wrote:
> > 1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
> >
> > http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.
> >
> > -Dave
> I don't think MBZ ever made a loser (well, maybe the 190sl). Unimog's
> rock! Have you picked up a g-wagen for the more day-to-day stuff?
> There's a story where a g-wagen owner asked to be buried in his,
> because the hole had yet to be dug that the G couldn't get him out of.

Nope...I prefer other German vehicles for day-to-day driving.
Though NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a set of spark plug wires really hurt
me a few weeks ago. :-(

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Bill Bradford
2001-08-25 01:33:25 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:12:00PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> Nope...I prefer other German vehicles for day-to-day driving.
> Though NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a set of spark plug wires really hurt
> me a few weeks ago. :-(
> -Dave

You probably could have made your own plastic and wire and made them
YOURSELF for cheaper than that.. Ow.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Dave McGuire
2001-08-25 02:18:25 UTC
On August 24, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > Nope...I prefer other German vehicles for day-to-day driving.
> > Though NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a set of spark plug wires really hurt
> > me a few weeks ago. :-(
>
> You probably could have made your own plastic and wire and made them
> YOURSELF for cheaper than that.. Ow.

Twelve wires, one ignition coil per wire... :-(

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Ken Hansen
2001-08-25 02:50:36 UTC
Geez, for $900 you could get a *whole* Kia Sportage! ;^)

Ken

Mike Free
2001-08-25 02:55:52 UTC
if you know where I can get a Kia Sportage for $900.....

Mike Free

Dave McGuire
2001-08-25 03:01:51 UTC
Umm......yeah? ;)

(just kidding, Bill... ;))

-Dave

On August 24, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Geez, for $900 you could get a *whole* Kia Sportage! ;^)
>
> Ken

Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
G W Adkins
2001-08-25 03:13:33 UTC
> Umm......yeah? ;)
>
> (just kidding, Bill... ;))
>
> -Dave
Awww, c'mon, McGuire... we all know that as soon as they make a convertible
Kia, you'll own one...

<ha ha ha ha>
George
Dave McGuire
2001-08-25 03:19:46 UTC
On August 24, G W Adkins wrote:
> > Umm......yeah? ;)
> >
> > (just kidding, Bill... ;))
> >
> > -Dave
> Awww, c'mon, McGuire... we all know that as soon as they make a convertible
> Kia, you'll own one...
>
> <ha ha ha ha>

I do rather like the Sportage's aesthetics...

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Bill Bradford
2001-08-25 03:37:35 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 11:13:33PM -0400, G W Adkins wrote:
> Awww, c'mon, McGuire... we all know that as soon as they make a convertible
> Kia, you'll own one...

They do. The 2-door sorority-chick 2wheeldrive model.

(the Sportage)

I have the 4-door.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Bill Bradford
2001-08-25 03:36:47 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:50:36PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Geez, for $900 you could get a *whole* Kia Sportage! ;^)

Dude, have you ever driven one? I'm on my second (traded the
'99 in on an '01), and I *love* it.

Ever think "simplicity makes for reliability" ?

I dont need frills. It gets me from point A to point B when
I need it to, and I dont worry about hauling stuff in it either.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
r***@sunhelp.org
2001-08-25 01:17:54 UTC
OooOOOoOOOo don't spoil it , don't spoil it! My wife surprised me with
tickets for the 10:15 showing tonight. I've got 4 frickin' hours to
go!!!!!!

:D

===============================
Ed Mitchell (ed<-at->the7thbeer.com)
Finger for PGP public key
===============================
This boxen's uptime stats....
6:16pm up 37 day(s), 8:29, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.01

Bill Bradford
2001-08-25 01:33:51 UTC
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 06:17:54PM -0700, ***@the7thbeer.com wrote:
> OooOOOoOOOo don't spoil it , don't spoil it! My wife surprised me with
> tickets for the 10:15 showing tonight. I've got 4 frickin' hours to
> go!!!!!!

Not spoiling a thing - just definitely ITS WORTH IT.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Steven Hill
2001-08-25 03:32:57 UTC
> > > remotely combustable. with a snorkle could easily handle 8' of water. have

> > Where would one park such a thing?
>
> ANYWHERE ONE WANTS.

But in less than 8' of water ;-)

S.

Honey, PLEASE don't pick up the PH$@#*&$^(#@&$^%(*NO CARRIER

www.waroffice.net

brought to you by the ***@waroffice.net

James Sharp
2001-08-25 03:41:51 UTC
> Deuce and a half. 6x6 with double tires in the rear. they came with straight
> gasonline engines, or the wonderous Multifuel that ran anything that was
> remotely combustable. with a snorkle could easily handle 8' of water. have
> a winch on the front the likes of you have never seen before. these things
> are AWESOME. i love them. there is a guy who sells them locally, although he
> wants about $13K each (with all the options) and i just recently missed one that
> was on sale in Chicago for $5K. it was made by Jeep, and it was in MINT
> condition.

I had one of those when I was in Texas. It had the Multifuel and it was a
breeze to drive, except that I was about 8 inches too tall to drive it
comfortably.

I think that in a tug-of-war, this thing would outpull the mog, but only
because it can get muchmuch more traction with the bigger wheels.
G W Adkins
2001-08-25 04:11:06 UTC
> > was on sale in Chicago for $5K. it was made by Jeep, and it was in MINT
> > condition.
>
> I had one of those when I was in Texas. It had the Multifuel and it was a
> breeze to drive, except that I was about 8 inches too tall to drive it
> comfortably.
>
> I think that in a tug-of-war, this thing would outpull the mog, but only
> because it can get muchmuch more traction with the bigger wheels.

Now, this will blow your mind,
In the Army, I used to rig them for SLINGLOAD, as in under a helicopter.
A 'Big Ass Helicopter' (tm)...
(CH47)

George