Re: geek vehicles
Stuart E. Johnson
2001-08-24 14:06:34 UTC
Chrysler minivans. I've got two; when both are fully loaded the contents
fill about 3 standard nerdfest tables. I've also hauled machines in 8-foot
racks in my Grand Voyager with the seats out. And they're much more
comfortable than a pickup truck.

(Don't ask about hauling 2 PDP 8L's from Milwaukee to Saint Paul in my old
Ford with no working gauges. Let's just say that the PDP's in the box
changed the aerodynamic characteristics of the vehicle and I ran out of gas
5 miles short of my scheduled refueling stop...)
--
-Stuart Johnson
Subject: Re: [rescue] Cheap Shipping?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:11:16 -0400
i'm surprised more geeks don't buy SUVs. :)
You'd all be surprised by the amount of stuff a PT Cruiser can carry!
Kurt
Bill Bradford
2001-08-24 14:55:42 UTC
Post by Stuart E. Johnson
Chrysler minivans. I've got two; when both are fully loaded the contents
fill about 3 standard nerdfest tables. I've also hauled machines in 8-foot
racks in my Grand Voyager with the seats out. And they're much more
comfortable than a pickup truck.
Kia Sportage (my second one) here. I can haul an incredible amount of stuff
with the back seats folded up - in fact I carried three RS/6000 5xx-series
machines (the big deskside ones), four IBM 3151 terminals, and a couple boxes
of tapes and cables in one load, once. Had no room for a passenger, though.

I've got pictures of the full vehicle around here somewhere.

Bill
--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 15:02:51 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
Post by Stuart E. Johnson
Chrysler minivans. I've got two; when both are fully loaded the contents
fill about 3 standard nerdfest tables. I've also hauled machines in 8-foot
racks in my Grand Voyager with the seats out. And they're much more
comfortable than a pickup truck.
Kia Sportage (my second one) here. I can haul an incredible amount of stuff
with the back seats folded up - in fact I carried three RS/6000 5xx-series
machines (the big deskside ones), four IBM 3151 terminals, and a couple boxes
of tapes and cables in one load, once. Had no room for a passenger, though.
I've got pictures of the full vehicle around here somewhere.
What does that do to the suspension on those things? I put a nearly full
load of books into a caravan (well, still with room for 3 passengers), and
the thing was seriously sagging.
Joshua D. Boyd
James Lockwood
2001-08-24 15:23:37 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
Kia Sportage (my second one) here. I can haul an incredible amount of stuff
with the back seats folded up - in fact I carried three RS/6000 5xx-series
machines (the big deskside ones), four IBM 3151 terminals, and a couple boxes
of tapes and cables in one load, once. Had no room for a passenger, though.
International 1160 (cross between an 1110 and a 1210) truck with a lumber
rack. I've had 2 tons of cargo in the bed and aside from some increased
brake pedal effort, the truck rode better than when empty.

-James [I need an IH Travelall next]

--
James Lockwood
Guy on Summer Vacation (dot-com bombed)
http://www.foonly.com/resume/
Mike Hebel
2001-08-24 15:54:54 UTC
JL> -James [I need an IH Travelall next]

I have a '72 Travelall 1100 to restore currently in a storage yard.

Complete with rust and a working 392 V8. ;-)

Know any good places for parts for these? The main tank is shot on
it.

Mike Hebel mailto:***@crosswinds.net

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.html

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.doc
Fogg, James
2001-08-24 15:43:18 UTC
Post by joshua d boyd
What does that do to the suspension on those things? I put a
nearly full
load of books into a caravan (well, still with room for 3
passengers), and
the thing was seriously sagging.
Yeah, but books have no air.

Things with air in them weigh a lot less. Those books probably weighed more
than you think. Infact, by the cubic foot, paper weighs more than wood
(because wood has more air and than paper fiber). For the cubic space
occupied by those books you probably could have hauled 2 or 3 times as much
wood (thus filling your minivan completely with wood?).
joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 15:46:41 UTC
Post by Fogg, James
Things with air in them weigh a lot less. Those books probably weighed more
than you think. Infact, by the cubic foot, paper weighs more than wood
(because wood has more air and than paper fiber). For the cubic space
occupied by those books you probably could have hauled 2 or 3 times as much
wood (thus filling your minivan completely with wood?).
Yeah, probably. We used to haul a lot of wood in an old Dodge station
wagon. Then we found that if we thought ahead, we could pay the same
amount, but get a dump truck load delivered instead of picking up a
station wagon load ourselves. So, that is what we do. Every year, two or
three dump truck loads of scrap wood are dropped off for us to burn for
heat. Yearly heating bill? Somewhere around $90.
Joshua D. Boyd
Fogg, James
2001-08-24 15:46:32 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
Kia Sportage (my second one) here.
Suzuki Sidekick Sport (like a Kia Sportage, only slightly nicer). This was
my first and I loved it so much I got the wife a Chevy Tracker (same thing).
The 4 cylinder Sidekick even tows my boat with no problems (with a full
passenger load and the A/C on I can only hold 55mph though, the aerodynamics
of a pontoon boat suck).
Bill Bradford
2001-08-24 16:01:02 UTC
Post by Fogg, James
Suzuki Sidekick Sport (like a Kia Sportage, only slightly nicer). This was
my first and I loved it so much I got the wife a Chevy Tracker (same thing).
Front or rear-wheel drive?

Bill
--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Fogg, James
2001-08-24 16:15:31 UTC
4X4, rear drive in 2X4 mode. Outstanding performance in snow (something you
don't have to worry about). I can attest to driving through 2 feet of snow
on an unplowed street (not a drift/berm, but constant unplowed 2 feet snow).
The wife's truck performs simularly (hers is a 4X4 2-door convertable and
mine is a 4-door hardtop). But I wouldn't tow the boat with her truck
(smaller 4-cyl engine).
2001-08-24 16:20:31 UTC
'97 Tacoma 4x4. Rescues anything(including me, sometimes!)

As soon as I get my 8000lb. winch installed, I can go on rescues in the
Alaskan tundra, if need be. :)

===============================
Ed Mitchell (ed<-at->the7thbeer.com)
Finger for PGP public key
===============================
This boxen's uptime stats....
9:17am up 36 day(s), 23:30, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.01
Bill Bradford
2001-08-24 16:26:00 UTC
Post by r***@sunhelp.org
As soon as I get my 8000lb. winch installed, I can go on rescues in the
Alaskan tundra, if need be. :)
"Dude, just hook the chain to the pallet, and DRAG THAT SUMBITCH HOME! 8-)"

Bill
--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Dave McGuire
2001-08-24 16:49:41 UTC
Post by r***@sunhelp.org
'97 Tacoma 4x4. Rescues anything(including me, sometimes!)
As soon as I get my 8000lb. winch installed, I can go on rescues in the
Alaskan tundra, if need be. :)
1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)

http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
Bill Bradford
2001-08-24 16:59:16 UTC
Post by Dave McGuire
1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.
-Dave
We already *know* that you win. Thats a given in any discussion. 8-)

Bill
--
Bill Bradford
***@mrbill.net
Austin, TX
Dave McGuire
2001-08-24 17:05:33 UTC
Post by Bill Bradford
Post by Dave McGuire
1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.
We already *know* that you win. Thats a given in any discussion. 8-)
Not quite any discussion. Not even most of them. ;)

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD
joshua d boyd
2001-08-24 17:08:46 UTC
Post by Dave McGuire
Post by r***@sunhelp.org
'97 Tacoma 4x4. Rescues anything(including me, sometimes!)
As soon as I get my 8000lb. winch installed, I can go on rescues in the
Alaskan tundra, if need be. :)
1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404S. 'Nuff said. :)
http://www.neurotica.com/unimog.
Just what the world needs to see. A drunken man with an indestructable
vehicle and a loaded shutgun.
Joshua D. Boyd
Fogg, James
2001-08-24 16:23:00 UTC
oh.. by the way, my Sidekick has 210 thousand miles on it and its going
strong. Only two repairs (A/C condenser and exhaust) and burns no oil. Runs
like it did on the first day.
2001-08-24 17:05:33 UTC
Oh believe me...I've been having dreams like that. Just waiting for one,
stupid little part to come in....grrrrrrr....

The scary thing is the truck only weighs about 3200 lbs. I'd have to
chain down to a big tree to yank something like that. :D
-Dave
r***@sunhelp.org